Oversize albumen photograph of street view of former slave pen, 9 x 7 in., mounted to 11 x 9 in. Uncredited: [Alexandria, Virginia], circa 1864. Ink inscription on verso, “Slave Pen at Alexandria Va.”
James H. Birch and Charles M. Price operated the largest slave pen in Alexandria, Virginia beginning in 1858. The building's orientation within the city, midway between the urban center and farmland to the west, allowed for the efficient containment and transport of men, women, and children before and after slave auctions. Following the invasion and capture of Alexandria by the Union Army in May 1861, the facility was converted to a military prison.
Some spotting and soiling to mount.
Have a Similar Item?Consign With Us
Cowan’s Cincinnati Office offers an in-house, full-service shipping department which is unparalleled in the auction industry. Shipping costs are provided with your finalized invoice 24-48 hours after auction. For furniture and oversized items, we recommend using third-party services. For more information, click HERE or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: All pickups and preview are by appointment only. To make an appointment, please call 513-871-1670 or email email@example.com
Page Load Executed Time Elapsed: 0.676 seconds