Quarter plate outdoor tintype showing horse-drawn buggies and people gathered together in front of Norumbega Hall in Bangor, Maine, with inscribed note identifying the building, which was destroyed by fire in 1911. Surrounding buildings are also shown, including the structure at right with a sign that reads, "Brass Foundry." Originally named Market House, Norumbega Hall was constructed in 1854-1855 and stood on an island in the middle of the Kenduskeag Stream. The bridge leading to the building can be seen in the tintype. With a maximum capacity of 2000 people, the massive building housed a performance hall on its second level, where theatrical performances as well as concerts, lectures and other events were hosted. Housed in full pressed paper case.
Originally obtained together with a collection of Bangor, Maine photographs identified to the Wiggin Family (see also Lots 25 and 26).
Provenance:Marvin Lieber Collection of Early Photographica
Some surface nicks/scratches on plate. Some small specks which may be on the glass, but image has been resealed and not removed from the seals for inspection.
Array ( [live_biddable] => [inquire] => [phone] => [phone_bid] => 0 [sold] => 1 [unsold] => [make_offer] => [estimate] => 1 [timer] => [current_bid] => [asking_bid] => [start_price] => 1 [buy_it_now_price] => [bid_activity] => )
Have a Similar Item?Consign With Us
Cowan's Auctions is one of the only houses to offer full service, in-house shipping.
Our experts pack and ship over 5,000 purchases each year.
Shipping costs are included on every invoice to make getting your items as fast and easy as possible.
For more information, click HERE or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Page Load Executed Time Elapsed: 0.265 seconds