carved of hickory or ash; decorations of stars, turtle, bird's foot, horse's head, seated human, and chip-carving on handle; top of club formed to a turtle's head; coated in red pigment; inked accession number at base of handle, overall length 22.25 in.
early 19th century
Accession records indicate that #1481, Ball Club, entered the collection of the Moravian Historical Society, Nazareth, PA, in July, 1862, and was later deaccessioned in November of 2003. It was donated by Richard Miksch (1816-1875), a blacksmith and resident of Nazareth. The Society notes that Richard Miksch likely received the club from his uncle, John Christian Miksch (1793-1845), a Moravian missionary working in Westfield, Kansas. It is recorded in the Report of Bethlehem Society, dated September 5, 1842, that Br. Jesse Volger proceeded in company with his Brother-in-law, Br. Richard Miksch, from Ohio, to Cantonment Leavenworth, where 500 to 600 mounted dragoons of the United States army are stationed, to preserve peace and order among the different tribes of Indians... (Brethren's Society for the Furtherance of the Gospel among the Heathen 1841 modern reprint: 289). Accompanied by copies of deaccession records.
Provenance:Deaccessioned from the Moravian Historical Society, Pennsylvania
Array ( [live_biddable] => [inquire] => [phone] => [phone_bid] => 0 [sold] => 1 [unsold] => [make_offer] => [estimate] => 1 [timer] => [current_bid] => [asking_bid] => [start_price] => 1 [buy_it_now_price] => [bid_activity] => )
Have a Similar Item?Consign With Us
Cowan's Auctions is one of the only houses to offer full service, in-house shipping.
Our experts pack and ship over 5,000 purchases each year.
Shipping costs are included on every invoice to make getting your items as fast and easy as possible.
For more information, click HERE or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Page Load Executed Time Elapsed: 0.439 seconds