Cast plaster sculpture by John Rogers (1829-1904), titled on the front of the base The Council of War and incised on the back top of the base Patented March 31 1868; 24 in. high x 14 in. wide x 12 in. deep. This scene of a seated President Lincoln studying a map with Secretary Stanton and General Grant standing behind was one of Roger's most popular groupings. The original bronze sculpture was first exhibited to the public in 1868 and Stanton and Robert Todd Lincoln both praised it as the best likeness of Lincoln they had seen.
Provenance:From the William Townsend Collection, Helm Place, Lexington, KY
Array ( [live_biddable] => [inquire] => [phone] => [phone_bid] => 0 [sold] => 1 [unsold] => [make_offer] => [estimate] => 1 [timer] => [current_bid] => [asking_bid] => [start_price] => [buy_it_now_price] => [bid_activity] => )
Have a Similar Item?Consign With Us
Cowan's Auctions is one of the only houses to offer full service, in-house shipping.
Please note shipping costs are factored by weight and size, not purchase price.
Larger items like furniture may incur a higher shipping charge.
Our experts pack and ship over 5,000 purchases each year.
Shipping costs are included on every invoice to make getting your items as fast and easy as possible.
For more information, click HERE or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Page Load Executed Time Elapsed: 0.435 seconds