35

Civil War Image of Brandy Station, Va.

An albumen photograph of Brandy Station, VA sub-titled Supply depot of the Army of the Potomac., by C.O. Bostwick, 1864. Brandy Station, an Orange and Alexandria railroad stop in Culpeper County, Virginia, saw the largest cavalry battle in the Civil War, on June 9, 1863.

The following winter the Army of the Potomac placed its headquarters there. The little depot was surrounded by encampments of 110,000 Union soldiers and became the Army's main supply depot. This rare print shows the depot including the still-standing station-masters house. At the platform are supply wagons bearing the insignia of Sedgwick's 6th Corps. In the foreground are a number of heavy wagons pulled by six and eight horse teams off-loading a growing mountain of stacked barrels and crates near an Orange and Alexandria Railroad siding.

The stark image imparts the enormity of logistics required to keep the Union army supplied with food and ammunition in the field and underscores the age-old reliance upon horse power versus the dichotomy of the modern steam locomotive. The sheer volume of stores assembled and transported virtually at whim by Union Army quartermasters illustrates why the Confederacy could never have won the Civil War.

Condition:Even toning to albumen photograph; scattered staining to mount.

Estimate: $400 - $600
Price Realized Including Buyer's Premium
$470
06/11/2010

 

Have a Similar Item?

Consign With Us