[CIVIL WAR]. Archive of Civil War Correspondence from Connecticut Soldiers

26 letters, most with covers, to Mary Candee from a number of people: Mother; John Bogart (cousin; 13 letters), 5th Regt Connecticut Vols.; George Egan (4 letters), 1st CT Cavalry; Richard Paine (1 letter), 6th Regt. CT Vols.; W[illiam].T. Howd (7 letters), 6th Regt. CT Vols. The first letter from Mother was written to four people, one on each page: the first page to "Deborah & children;" the second to Mary; the third to Johnny (a nephew); and the fourth to Willie (another nephew). Other than her cousin, John, the others appear to be friends and neighbors.

John Bogart enlisted in the 5th CT Volunteers in September 1861 after the first call for 3-year recruits, with Alfred Terry commissioned as its Colonel. Since many in the regiment had previously served in 100-day units, they shipped out to the south fairly quickly after mustering in. They arrived at Port Royal, SC (by way of Fortress Monroe) in early November. His first letter is from Beaufort, SC. He went there with (by-then)-General Terry. He does not think the rebels will evacuate Richmond, and his unit is going to Hilton Head soon. He describes a battle on James Island. His second letter is from Hilton Head, dated Nov. 14. In this one he describes the bombardment of Fort Walker, SC and the 28 dead bodies they found inside when the fort surrendered. The third letter, again from Beaufort, is mostly about friends and neighbors, but he does mention that yellow fever had finally subsided (which would be expected as mosquito activity declines in winter). One letter (24 May 1863) basically says that he does not have time to write, but will get back to her later. 30 August 1863 brings a longer letter from Morris Island, SC. Apparently Mary requested a photo, but John says there is no place to have one taken on the island. His letter of Jan. 30, 1864 mentions the fine reception the regiment got in New Haven, presumably their furlough upon veteranizing. The next December he writes to her on Christmas Eve. He says he is not going to hang up his stockings because his friends will probably fill them with coal. In April 1864 Bogart was promoted to Commissary Sergt. In a letter in March (23rd, 1865) he tells her that City Point is bustling. Supplies for both the Army of the James and the Army of the Potomac came through there, supplies for about 250,000 men. "Imagine a seaport town of 250,000 inhabitants and you can form some idea of it. Ships of all sizes, from full rigged down to sail boat, and from the little puffing tug to the majestic ocean steamer." In early May, after the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia, his letter is from the Office of the Chief Q.M., Raleigh, NC. He keeps thinking he will go home in May, but now it looks more like June. There is a lot of paperwork needed to close out each unit. Indeed, he is still there in late June, and hopes to be home by early August. But that is not to be, either, as his letter of 19 November 1865 is STILL from Raleigh. He seems to have gotten a "feel" for the local residents. Most still seem to favor "states' rights" and the right of those states to leave the Union. They also believe that Mr. Lincoln started the war. By the next letter, dated 15 June 1866, he is working his second job since returning home. Most of the letter is hometown and family news. The last is similar, dated 28 Jan. 1871. 

George Egan served in the 100-day 3rd CT Infy. In November he joined the 1st CT Cavalry, and veteranized in Jan. 1864. His first letter to Mary describes patrolling Baltimore, watching for deserters, a duty "of a little different nature." In his letter of 15 June 1862, he is sick of seeing mangled bodies and minor wounds becoming infected and fatal for lack of care (mostly because of the number of patients the surgeons have to deal with). He also states that his division gave Gen. Jackson a good whipping last Sunday and Monday, and they may go back to Petersburg & Franklin again. The third letter is on patriotic stationery, Washington, 9 Nov. 1862. They are camped on the Virginia side of the Potomac River in 5 or 6 inches of snow. He complains about the cold. Egan was taken prisoner in June 1863 at Frederick, MD. His letter dated 22 Oct. 1863 mentions: "I had no trouble in getting back here but I had to keep a good lookout. Probably you are aware that when I went home I had no furlough, and I would have stayed much longer, but I learned that I was exchanged, and had to come back." He is becoming bored with Baltimore, but decided he would rather spend the winter in a city than in the field, as he had the past two winters. 

Richard Paine's letter is addressed to "Friend Mary." Paine enlisted in the 6th CT Vols. in September 1861, and mustered out in Sept. 1864. This letter was written at Camp Wright during their training period (29 Sept. 1861), so much of his military activity is drilling. He also describes the trip from home to Washington, DC. 

William T. Howd is, like Paine, from Bradford, CT and enlisted in the 6th CT Vols. in Sept. 1861. His letter dated 19 (?) Dec. 1861, like so many others, complains that he has not received letters from anyone. "The slaves told me that the North boys did not make good iron he said the burst(?) oven right [illeg.] kill massa." He talks about the prices telling her that you pay 5 times what items are worth. The second letter, dated Jan. 17, 1862 is from Hilton Head and Port Royal, since the 6th and  5th were together quite a bit in the early months. The next letter is dated Feb 9, 1862, Warsaw, Georgia. He notes that Henry Parker is very ill and Howd is afraid he won't make it. In the next letter, Hilton Head, 4 March 1862, Henry Parker is dead. Bird's Island, Georgia. He describes a flag of truce sent from the CSA troops. Once peace was established, the two armies shared some whiskey. 20 May 1862, Danfuskie Island, SC. They are boarding the USS Cosmopolitan to join Gen Wright near Fort Sumpter, but the 7th Regt. will stay at Fort Pulaski. The last letter is from Hilton Head, Port Royal, SC. They had a bad storm that lasted nearly 24 hours. Two steamers were lost very near where the Central America went down off Cape Hatteras. There were some skirmishes between gunboats, and the man-o-war Van Dalia was firing into the fort killing many rebels.

The lot includes two cdvs of General Frank and Mrs. Blair, his with a Fredericks & Son backmark. Plus a signed slip of paper "Adl. Lee." Plus a calling card of CM. Elleard and a mourning calling card of Mrs. Charles Elleard.

Also included are two copy photographs, in color, of a man standing by a standard photographer's setting (velvet drape and chair), and a woman and two young girls. There is also a supposed quote by John McCullough, "Come down God Damn you and take a drink." Presumably the photographs are McCullough and his family. John Edward McCullough (1837-1885) was born in Ireland, but immigrated to America at the age of 16. He often played supporting roles in Shakespearean plays. On the night of September 29, 1884, McCullough had a breakdown and was later committed to an asylum. His "insane ravings" were popular and were imitated in one of the first audio recordings. One wonders whether McCullough really said this or if it is another one attributed to him without any proof that he really said it.

Estimate: $1,500 - $3,000
Price Realized Including Buyer's Premium

Internet Bidding

Have a Similar Item?

Consign With Us


Cowan’s Cincinnati Office offers an in-house, full-service shipping department which is unparalleled in the auction industry. Shipping costs are provided with your finalized invoice 24-48 hours after auction. For furniture and oversized items, we recommend using third-party services. For more information, click HERE or contact cowansshipping@hindmanauctions.com.  

NOTE: All pickups and preview are by appointment only. To make an appointment, please call 513-871-1670 or email cincinnati@hindmanauctions.com