Oak relic in the form of a gavel, with a metal band tacked along each edge of the barrel-shaped head, the first inscribed, Flagship Niagara 1813 - 1913, the second inscribed, Jacob Loesch - John Renton - Harry T. Rowley - Harry H. Heeren. Height, 6.5 in.; head width 1.75 in., depth 2.75 in. No further information has been found regarding the gentlemen identified on the gavel.
On September 10, 1813, nine small ships from the American Navy commanded by Oliver Hazard Perry defeated a British squadron of six vessels in the Battle of Lake Erie. This pivotal event in the War of 1812 secured the Northwest Territory, opened supply lines and lifted the nation's morale. The Niagara was Perry's flagship. After the war, the Niagara served as a station ship in Erie until 1820, then was scuttled there in Misery Bay. To celebrate the centennial of the battle in 1913, Erie citizens raised the hulk and rebuilt her, using many of the old timbers. The Niagara, towed by the USS Wolverine, visited Great Lakes ports and participated in ceremonies at Put-in-Bay on September 10, 1913. This gavel was almost certainly made as a relic of the battle at this time.
Provenance:Property of N. Flayderman & Co.
Few cracks in head, including crack on one end that extends along side of barrel, near handle; small chunk in head along edge near band inscribed with name "H. Heeren."
Have a Similar Item?Consign With Us
Page Load Executed Time Elapsed: 0.368 seconds