A fine French and Indian Wars New York style map horn with elaborate engraved scenes. At the top of the horn near the throat is a rare depiction of a rank of armed militia facing off against an equally impressive group of British grenadiers sporting mitre caps. The center of the horn with engraved British Monarch Coat of Arms surrounded by complicated map system. Map system includes at the top Lake Ontario and tributaries including the Hudson River valley with all major cities including Albany, Saratoga, Crown Point and Ticonderoga. All major French and Indian, and later Revolutionary War forts are included in this beautifully engraved horn with the river system ending in New York with several Naval ships. Next to New York is a naval designed compass. This horn measures 14" through the curve and 3" in diameter. Base is connected by wood pegs with a lanyard ring on the bottom. 4.5" throat with raised rings to spout. A very fine horn that could easily have seen use in both the French and Indian War, and later Revolutionary War.
Very elegant engraved powder horn with several folk style animal scenes and identified to Jonathan Hunton. Engraved animals on this horn include several large North American game species such as deer, elk, bear, ducks and birds. Several marine animals are also engraved with fine detail including fish, turtles and beavers. Blending in with the game species are mystical animals with a mermaid with lions head and a half horse half marine animal. In the center of the animal scenes is a soldier on horse back in attack posture. Just under the identification is a lion. The engraved identification states "Jonathan Hunton His" over "Horn Made At Milford" over "John". The Horn measures 13.25" through the curve with the base measuring 3" in diameter. The base is connected to the horn proper with wood pegs. A long 4" throat to raised ring and spout.
Johnathan Hunton enlisted on October 4, 1775, to Captain Joshua Abbott's Company with 41 other subscribers in the Colony of New Hampshire for $4.00 for full satisfaction. This specific unit was under the command of the Fifth Company of Col. John Stark. This unit was at several famous battles including Bunker Hill in 1775. Jonathan Hunton was also involved with the Battle of Saratoga that ended with the capture of General John Burgoyne.
This saber believed to be from the 18th century has a 31.5" blade with a .75" ricasso on a 4.5" grip with a guard that is 3" across and 4.5" long. The scabbard measurs 33" long with a .5" tip and a .5" mouth.
.62 caliber, 9" octagonal barrel, NSN. Steel finish with checkered full stock. Flat swan-neck cock with safety, bridled pan, and roller frizzen. Lightly engraved pineapple triggerguard. Wiid ramrod with steel tip. Top of barrel marked "PHILADA" with lockplate marked "KRIDER".
.48 caliber, 5.25" round barrel with extended nocksform and hooked breech, no S/N. Browned Damascus pattern barrel, blued steel mountings, checkered hardwood stock. Bolted flint lock with waterproof pan and roller frizzen. Captive swivel ramrod. Lock marked G. PEPPER, barrel marked G PEPPER DUBLIN and with the Irish Registration number TY 4729 pursuant to the Registration Act of 1843 requiring the firearms in Ireland be registered. The "TY" indicates registration in County Tyrone.
.64 cal, 12 3/4" barrel, raised carved walnut full stock, with gold-washed brass hardware, butt cap with embossed grosteque face. Flint lock marked I. S. Meckel A Suerin." For J. Samuel Meckel ( active 1725-1750) of Mecklenburg. Top of barrel with German silver inlaid seated figure of Athena, German silver beaded foresight.
.48 caliber, 10.3125" octagonal barrels, no S/N. Blued barrels, color case hardened locks, German silver mounts, European hardwood stock with checkered grips. Barrels marked in silver inlay: I Christoph Kuchenreiter with additional silver inlaid decorations. Locks marked G. Knoth in script. Pistols retain their original hook breech barrels but have been altered to percussion, likely by Knoth during the 19th century. Single-set adjustable triggers, folding leaf rear sights. German silver mounts engraved with foliate and geometric designs, butt caps with embossed decorations. Pistols with horn tipped wood ramrods. Johann Christoph Kuchenreiter worked during the late 18th and early 19th century in Regnesburg, Bavaria.
.48 caliber, 3.6875" barrel, no S/N. Browned finish, color casehardened locks, German silver mountings, checkered bird's head grip stocks. Two-line DERINGER / PHILADEL marking on locks and tops of breeches. Breeches with gold bands and starburst-P proof marks. Lightly engraved German silver mounts, plain shield escutcheons at wrists, cap boxes in butts, wood ramrods. A lovely pair of larger Deringer pocket pistols that appear to be a true "pair".
.68 caliber (approx. 14 bore), 8" octagonal smoothbore barrels, NSN. Browned Damascus barrels with varnished and checkered full-stocks secured by pin. Bead front sights with v-notch rear sights. Silver plated entry pipes and pineapple-style trigger guards, the latter lightly engraved with scrolls. Case-hardened lockplates with light scroll engravings and "HAMBURGER & Co.". Top of barrels engraved "LONDON". Swivel-retained button-end ramrods.
.40 caliber, 9" octagonal barrel, NSN. Blued barrels with Germanic-style varnished walnut half stocks. Adjustable front and rear sights with adjustable triggers. Pin escutcheons, lockplates, hammers, and triggerguards engraved with broad scrolls. Barrels marked in gold "J. MULLER IN FRANZENSBAD".
.54 caliber, 8.5 round barrel, lockplate marked A. Waters, and dated 1843. Converted from flint to percussion by Arsenal. Swivel ramrod, walnut stock.
.54 caliber, 8.5" barrel, no S/N. Bright finish, walnut stock, swivel ramrod. Waters marked lock dated 1839 remains in original flint configuration. Clear US/JA/P barrel inspection and crips script EB and WAT cartocuhes on counterpane. The last of the US single shot flintlock martial pistols.
.54 caliber, 8.5" barrel, NSN. Bright finish with full stock secured by brass barrel band. Blade front sight with integral swivel ramrod. Brass sideplate, trigger guard, butt cap and back strap. Brass parts marked with "H" and "M" sub-inspector markings. Barrel marked with three line "US/WN/P" proofs. Counterpane shows remnants of cartouches. Lockplate marked forward of hammer "US/H. ASTON & CO", and rear of hammer "MIDDTN/CONN/1851". Breech tang marked with remnants of "1850" date.
.54 caliber, 8.5" barrel, NSN. Bright finish with full stock secured by brass barrel band. Blade front sight with integral swivel ramrod. Brass sideplate, trigger guard, butt cap and back strap. Counterpane marked with "NWP" and "WAP" script cartouches. Small parts marked throughout with "P" inspector marks. Barrel shows correct "J.H./P" proofs and "1847" date. Lockplate marked forward of hammer in two lines "US/H. ASTON" and behind hammer in three lines "MIDDTN/CONN/1847".
Original 13.75" haft with pewter inlaid muscrat on one side and opposite side with pewter four-pointed star with five pewter dots below. 5" blade stamped Beai Cast Steel.
10.5" long blade, 1.5" blade width. 15.75" overall length. Iron ferrule and spiral dark green horn grips. Original black leather scabbard with hand stitching and primative pressed tooled pattern rendered in the leather. Belt stud is possibly the tip of a deer antler.
A bell crown shako, with eagle hatplate device, leather cockade and brass scale chinstrap. Retains leather hatband, with paper labeol on interior #266 Soldier's Garrison Cap c. 1810.
.38 caliber, 39" octagonal barrel, NSN. Steel finish with half stock secured by two pins. Blade front sight with rear sight block. Brass trigger guard and buttplate with carved cheek piece. German silver pins escutcheons and stock inlay. Barrel marked "C. Flowers".
Charles Flowers is listed as operating a shop in Harmony, Pennsylvania, dates unknown.
.38 caliber, 37.5" barrel, NSN. Blued barrel secured with two pins. Blade front sight with folding aperture rear sight and rear sight block on barrel. Brass ramrod pipes, entry pipes, trigger guard, and buttplate with raised cheek piece. Joseph Golcher lockplate. Barrel marked "C. Flowers" in script.
Charles Flowers is listed as operating a shop in Harmony, Pennsylvania, years unknown.
.36 caliber, 38.25" octagonal barrel, NSN. Steel finish with full stock secured by three pins. Blade front sight with rear sight block. Brass ramrod pipes, entry pipes, forend cap, trigger guard, and buttplate. Round patchbox. German silver pin escutcheons and stock inlay. Barrel marked with partially legible script letters and "1865". Goulcher lockplate.
.44 caliber, 42" barrel, NSN. Blued finish with full stock secured by three pins. Blade front sight with semi-buckhorn rear sight. Brass end cap, three brass ramrod pipes, trigger guard, and pineapple patch box. Percussion lockplate marked "WHITMORE & WOLFF/PITTSBURGH". Top of barrel marked "CALDERWOOD".
William Calderwood is listed as operating a shop on Germantown Road in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from 1807-1819.
.52 caliber, 41.5" octagonal barrel, no S/N. Blued barrel secured to full stock with pins. Blade front sight with rear sight block. Brass nose cap, ramrod pipes, entry pipe, triggerguard, buttplate, toe plate, and spring-catch patchbox. Top of barrel rear of sight block marked in thin elegant script "S.B." Lightly engraved Golcher lock. German silver cheek piece and thumb piece escutcheons with additional German silver barrel pin escutcheons.
Samuel Baum operated a shop in New Berlin, Union County, Pennsylvania from 1789-1840. This particular rifle is pictured as number 37 of Roy Chandler and James Whisker's Kentucky Rifle Patchboxes, Volume 2. A volume of this work is included with the lot.
.48 caliber, 43" octagonal barrel, no S/N. Browned finish, full-length hardwood stock, brass mountings with four-piece patchbox. Percussion lock appears to be marked WARRANTED over URBANA O. Double set triggers, fixed buckhorn rear sight and Rocky Mountain front sight blade. Includes wood ramrod.
.50 caliber, 35.5" octagonal barrel, lockplate marked A.W. Spies. Maple stock with grooved cheek piece on both sides of the stock. Brass furniture, notched rear barrel sight, blade front sight. Single set trigger.
.572 bore diameter, 47.5" round barrel, notched rear barrel sight. blade front sight. Walnut stock.
.600 smooth bore diameter, 31" half-octagonal / half-round barrel, no S/N. No visible markings. Brass buttplate and trigger guard. Brown barrel with walnut stock.
.32 caliber, 24" octagonal barrel, NSN. Blade front sight with aperture rear sight and semi buckhorn elevator rear sight. Brass trigger guard, buttplate, toe plate, and patch box. Unmarked back-action lock with double set-trigger and threaded barrel. Replacement ramrod.
12 gauge, 28" barrels with patent breech. Engraved back-action percussion locks marked Will Moore. Checkered finely figured walnut stock.
.69 caliber, 42" barrel, NSN. Bright barrel secured to military stock by three spring-retained barrel bands. Lockplate marked forward of hammer with "[eagle]/US". Marked rear of hammer "HARPERS/FERRY/1841". Sideplate and tail of trigger guard marked with matching "12" rack numbers, as do barrel bands. Lockplate interior marked "A12", with back of hammer marked "12". Button end ramrod. Top of barrel marked in two lines "BUTTERFIELD'S/PHILADA".
The Butterfield Patent priming method, designed by Jesse Butterfield and patented in 1855, utilized a disk of fulminate mercury stored in an attached reserve forward of the hammer. In 1859, Butterfield was awarded a contract from the U.S. government for the right to convert 5,000 arms in the arsenals to his system. Final numbers and other data related to the completion, or lack thereof, to the contract have been lost. In any case, this arm seems to have been converted at an unknown time from the Butterfield system to the more conventional percussion cap primer.
.69 caliber, 35.25" barrel, NSN. Bright finish with cut-down military stock. Lockplate marked foward of hammer with American eagle over "US" and "HARPERS/FERRY/1849" in three lines on tail.
Page Load Executed Time Elapsed: 1.107 seconds