“S. Anderson, New Orleans” with Zacharie’s name twice in pencil on recto. Captain H.H. Zacharie commanded Company C. of the Confederate States Zouave Battalion (a.k.a. 1st Zouave Battalion of Louisiana) organized at Camp Walker, New Orleans in 1861. Like Wheat’s Battalion of “Tigers” the Confederate States Zouaves wore a distinctive uniform in keeping with their French heritage that consisted of blue jackets and red trousers with red kepis. Mustering six companies the battalion saw active service in Virginia on the Peninsula, through the Seven Days fighting and Fredericksburg serving in Pryor’s and later Starke’s brigade. Much reduced in strength by 1863 and unable to recruit, the battalion was assigned to provost duty in the Richmond area. In 1864 the remnants of the Confederate States Zouave Battalion disbanded due to attrition hastened by general orders that required the consolidation of chronically under strength units. Zacharie was retained in a staff capacity as “Capt. AIC & AAG.”
Provenance: Zacharie Family, New Orleans
Condition: The CDV shows only minor handling wear, else VG.